The main building of the Bauhaus University Weimar was built according to the plans of Henry van de Velde. It is one of the most important art school buildings of the turn of the century and was the founding site of the Bauhaus in 1919. In 1999, the original condition was largely restored through renovation.
Opposite is the building of the former "Großherzogliche-Sächsische Kunstgewerbeschule Weimar", which was also built according to plans by Henry van de Velde. It was used by the "Staatliches Bauhaus zu Weimar" from 1919 to 1925. Inside are particularly interesting the three reconstructed wall paintings by Oskar Schlemmer, which were created on the occasion of the Bauhaus exhibition in 1923.